Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

Exit code 0 after test failure

jakeginnivanposted in #help-playwright
Open in Discord
jakeginnivan
jakeginnivan

I'm hitting a rather odd issue where i'm getting a failed test, but the exit code of the process is 0 so failures are not being reported by CI properly. Would love to get to the bottom of the issue, just need some guidance on a good spot to start. Looks like https://github.com/microsoft/playwright/issues/20511

image.png
image.png

This thread is trying to answer question "Why is a failed test returning an exit code of 0 and not being properly reported by CI?"

1 reply

Honestly? Starting out when dinosaurs roamed freely... Use to be able to rely on programs using exit codes, not even sure it is ever stressed these days also. But rarely have I seed many programs doing this. Might suggest saving out a file? While i'm wondering if the problems is having chained programs....

node -> PW -> runs test that pass/fail

Node "successfully ran" your PW tests but those fail. So node returns 0 no error...?

Answer

Troubleshooting Failed Test Exit Codes in CI

You might be wondering why a failed test in your CI system is returning an exit code of 0. This can happen due to several reasons.

Unhandled Errors

Firstly, unhandled errors or exceptions in your test framework or environment can cause abrupt termination of test execution without reporting the failure. This results in an incorrect exit code.

CI System Configurations

Secondly, your CI system might have specific configurations that determine how failures are reported. If these settings are misconfigured or inconsistent, it can lead to incorrect reporting of failed tests.

Customizations

Lastly, any customizations or modifications made to your CI pipeline or testing framework can impact how failures are detected and reported.

Solutions

To solve this, start by reviewing the logs generated during the test execution. They can provide insights into any unhandled exceptions or errors.

Also, check for any updates or patches related to your CI system and testing framework. They often include bug fixes and improvements that can address known issues with error reporting and handling.

In conclusion, keep your software up to date, analyze logs, and review configurations to identify and resolve this issue. For more insights, check out the blog post on Mastering the Art of Detecting and Handling Flaky Tests in Playwright.

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.