Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

Trace viewer not able to load any of my traces

Step I made :

1. Downloading the .zip file from my github action artifacts.
  2. Tried npx playwright show-trace playwright-report.zip --> Trace viewer open and I get Could not load trace from trace.zip. Make sure a valid Playwright Trace is accessible over this url.
  3. Tried to access https://trace.playwright.dev/ and upload my playwright-report.zip --> got the error: Could not load trace. Did you upload a Playwright HTML report instead? Make sure to extract the archive first and then double-click the index.html file or put it on a web server.
  4. Unzip playwright-report.zip, then zip the folder trace, and then retry step 2 and 3 with my zipped trace.zip. But same issue

I'm using playwright 1.38

Additionnal note: If run a simple local server, I can read the trace without any issue by accessing the index.html

This thread is trying to answer question "Why is the Trace viewer not able to load any of my traces?"

6 replies
tphillips8117

It sounds like it's telling you exactly what's going wrong. You need to give it a trace.zip file, not a zipped playwright-report folder. Turn on traces in the config, then when a test fails it will create a trace.zip in the test-results/ directory

tphillips8117

a trace.zip file looks very different to the trace folder in the playwright-port folder

tphillips8117

You might be able to try the .zip file in the data folder inside playwright-report

tphillips8117

but all in all you should enable traces in the config file and use the real traces from the test-results folder

tphillips8117
@tphillips8117:
image.png

Yes indeed, I assumed that at the trace folder inside the report would be what a I was looking for. It still seems that the report contains the trace, taught it would be possible to use trace folder and zip.

The documentation says about Github Action report upload, but doesn't mention the upload of test-results/ files

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.