Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

Ordering of screenshots

When doing screenshot based testing using toHaveScreenshot, I like having all of the screenshots in the order in which they're defined in tests. As such, what I was doing was prefixing each with 00, 01, 02, etc. However I'm refactoring the tests now and splitting them up, and that doesn't continue to hold up when order isn't guaranteed between tests. Is there a way to configure the file name such that screenshots are saved with ordering based on their declaration rather than the non-deterministic run order?

This thread is trying to answer question "Is there a way to configure the file name such that screenshots are saved with ordering based on their declaration rather than the non-deterministic run order?"

0 replies

Answer

Sure, you can customize screenshot names in @playwright/test. By default, it generates names based on the test file name, browser, and platform. But, you can specify a custom name as the first argument of the toHaveScreenshot() method.

Here's an example:

expect(page).toHaveScreenshot('landing.png');

This way, you're not stuck with auto-generated names like example-test-1-chromium-darwin.png, but can use more descriptive names like 'landing.png'.

If you're working with multiple projects, @playwright/test uses the project name in the snapshot names, helping you differentiate between snapshots from different projects.

Remember, screenshots can vary between browsers and platforms due to rendering, fonts, etc. So, it's a good idea to have different snapshots for different browsers or platforms if needed.

Need to update reference screenshots? Use the --update-snapshots flag when running the Playwright test command:

npx playwright test --update-snapshots

This updates all reference snapshots with the actual ones. So, by specifying custom snapshot names and using the right flags, you can control how screenshots are saved and organized.

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.