Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

can i have one database pool connection per worker ?

I see that no matter using globalSetup or beforeAll hook its not possible to maintain one database pool connection for all tests, am i correct or there is way around

This thread is trying to answer question "Is it possible to maintain one database pool connection for all tests?"

10 replies

can i have one database pool connection per worker ?

Create connection in worker scope fixture perhaps? https://playwright.dev/docs/test-fixtures#worker-scoped-fixtures

unfortunately, same behaviour its reconnecting everytime

I don't think it's playwright issue then

export default class DB {
  private pool: Pool;

private DBConfig = {
    user: "db_user",
    host: "localhost",
    database: "dd",
    password: "dd",
    port: 5477, // Default PostgreSQL port is 5432
    max: 10, // Maximum number of connections in the pool
    idleTimeoutMillis: 30000, // Time a connection is kept idle before being closed
    connectionTimeoutMillis: 2000, // Time to wait for a new connection if all are busy
    allowExitOnIdle: false,
  };

async getDBConnection(): Promise<Pool> {
    if (!this.pool) {
      this.pool = new Pool(this.DBConfig);
      console.log("\x1b[32m" + `---------> √ DB connection has been established! <---------`);
      return this.pool;
    } else {
      console.log("\x1b[32m" + `---------> √ DB connection is already established! <---------`);
      return this.pool;
    }

}
}
dataBase: [ async ({}, use) => {
    const dataBase = new DB();
      await dataBase.getDBConnection();
      await use(dataBase);
    },
    { scope: 'worker' },
  ],
});

Thats weird the function is being executed twice

Screenshot_2023-08-03_at_16.13.58.png

maybe

dataBase: [ async ({}, use) => {
    const dataBase = new DB();
    const conn = await dataBase.getDBConnection();
    await use(conn)
  },
    { scope: 'worker' },
  ],
});

and try running with DEBUG=pw:test , maybe it will shed a light when why it triggers second time

First thing what is the problem attempting to be solved. Connection pooling is more a function for the database and client libraries to access the db. Depending on the database can be the DB routines may start services and connection pooling is more for performance. As for SQL if the connection string differs you won't share a connection. Remember writing a tool when i was in support to show/test user connection pooling to SQL and it was working. Never saw where you don't want it. And if it is on, depending on the DB it will be within the DB routines managed by the DB client routines...

Answer

Sure, you can set up a single database pool connection for all your tests using the globalSetup or beforeAll hook in @playwright/test.

First, create a global.setup.ts file at your project's root level. This file should export a function that initializes your database pool connection and stores it in a global variable. Here's an example:

// global.setup.ts
import { Pool } from 'your-database-library';

let dbPool: Pool;

export default async function globalSetup(config: any) {
  dbPool = new Pool(config.databaseOptions);
}

Next, specify the globalSetup option in your Playwright config file (playwright.config.ts) and provide the path to your global.setup.ts file:

// playwright.config.ts
import { defineConfig } from '@playwright/test';

export default defineConfig({
  globalSetup: './global.setup.ts',
});

This way, the globalSetup function will run once before all tests, establishing a single database pool connection. Each test can then access this shared dbPool variable for their database operations.

Remember, if you're using multiple workers with parallel execution, each worker will have its own instance of the global setup. If you want a single database pool connection per worker, initialize the connection in the beforeAll hook instead.

This efficient sharing of resources ensures consistent behavior across your test suite. For more tips on efficient testing with Playwright, check out this blog post.

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.