Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

How to select an element that does not have any built-in selectors

In an interview, a colleague of mine said that they needed to select an element which had no selectors other than the text inside of a div which would not work for what they needed.

I am currently preparing for my own interview and am wondering if there is any way to select an element in this way?

This thread is trying to answer question "Is there any way to select an element that does not have any built-in selectors?"

6 replies

If its surrounding elements are constant enough, you could use those for finding the element, e.g. locator('div#parent>div') or locator('div#parent>div').first()

If it's the only visible div within its level, you could consider the pseudo-css selector :active

@maq9329 Thank you, this does make sense and I will write this down for when I get to that portion of the interview. In the meantime, if you or anyone else comes up with alternative ways to accomplish this please let me know so I have as many options as possible when I get there

In some cases, if you have similar elements but you need to identify a specific one, you could also add your own classes to the element. I have a case where a form is saved and it shows a toast container telling the user that saving was (un)succesful. If I save many forms in a row quickly enough, Playwright can't tell the toast containers apart, so I resorted to marking seen toast containers with my own class .toast-seen

Like such:

.locator('.Toastify__toast-container')
        .locator('.Toastify__toast--default:not(.success-seen)');

verifySuccessToast = async () => {
        await expect(this.successToast()).toBeVisible();
        await this.successToast().evaluate(node => node.classList.add('success-seen'));
    };```
@maq9329: This is super interesting! I didn't know that you could add a class to it like that. Definitely writing this down!

This is super interesting! I didn't know that you could add a class to it like that. Definitely writing this down!

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.