Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

Implementing a generic fixture to mock multiple apis

altamashaliposted in #help-playwright
Open in Discord
altamashali
altamashali

I have created a fixture which will mock multiple apis with default responses. Tests can override default responses for few apis by specifying only those apis.

Issue i am facing is tests are failing in first try and getting passed in retries. I am not able to figure out what is causing the issue here. Please help 😩

Here is the implementation in the attached file.

This thread is trying to answer question "What is causing the tests to fail on the first try and pass on retries when using a fixture to mock multiple APIs?"

1 reply
altamashali
altamashali

Please help @debbieobrien 🙏

Answer

Understanding Test Failures and Retries in @playwright/test

When you're running tests with @playwright/test, each test is executed in its own worker process. This means that each test is isolated and won't affect others. If a test fails, @playwright/test discards the worker process and starts a new one for the next test.

Mocking APIs with Fixtures

You might be using fixtures to mock multiple APIs. Fixtures help set up and tear down resources for testing. If there's an issue during the setup phase or with one of the mocked APIs, some tests might fail on the first try.

import { test } from '@playwright/test';

test.beforeAll(async ({}) => {
  // Mock APIs here
});

test('My Test', async ({}) => {
  // Your test code here
});

Overcoming Failures with Retries

But don't worry! @playwright/test has a retry mechanism. If a test fails, it will be retried until it passes or reaches the maximum number of attempts. This gives you a chance to overcome any temporary issues with the mocked APIs.

import { test } from '@playwright/test';

test.retry(3);

test('My Test', async ({}) => {
  // Your test code here
});

Each retry starts a new worker process and re-executes the failed tests. The fixture setup is repeated for each retry, increasing the chance of passing the test.

So, if you're seeing tests fail on the first try but pass on retries, it could be due to issues with the fixture setup or the mocked APIs. But thanks to @playwright/test's retry mechanism, these temporary issues can be overcome.

For more insights, check out Exploring the Various Retry APIs of Playwright for Robust Testing.

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.