Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

Insight into trace file format and/or generation

cotyrosenblathposted in #help-playwright
Open in Discord
cotyrosenblath
cotyrosenblath

I'd like to hack a little on Playwright traces, and I'm wondering whether anyone has pointers to a detailed description of the file format and/or pointers to the code involved in trace generation.

What I'm interested in doing is putting additional annotations in the trace beyond the standard actions (e.g., locator., expect., etc.) that occur in the Playwright script. In particular, I want to make note of actions happening in the browser but outside of Playwright's scope.

This thread is trying to answer question "How can one add additional annotations in the Playwright trace file beyond the standard actions and make note of actions happening in the browser but outside of Playwright's scope?"

2 replies

You can use the test.info and add annotations .

cotyrosenblath
cotyrosenblath

Thanks @jan.ostgren . I used the term "annotations", but I don't think Playwrights test annotations are what I'm looking for. What I want to be able to do is insert a new list element in the actions list in UI mode, e.g.:

image.png

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.