Rayrun
← Back to Discord Forum

Is it feasible to perform testing on a website that's hidden behind a VPN using Playwright?

cherry_picker_01posted in #help-playwright
Open in Discord
cherry_picker_01

Our client's website is only accessible through their VPN, and they've requested us to evaluate a particular metric on the site. We have a Playwright framework (UI) at our disposal. Is this doable? If yes, what would I need to request?

This thread is trying to answer question "Is it feasible to perform testing on a website that's hidden behind a VPN using Playwright?"

10 replies

Can you use a proxy instead? Otherwise, you could spin up a VM that is connected to the vpn to run your playwright scripts.

cherry_picker_01

Thank you @gram7059 . I have a couple of follow-up questions because I'm a bit new to this subject. If they were to agree to set up a proxy server, would it be as straightforward as configuring the server address, username, and password in the Playwright configuration? Would the tests work smoothly without the need for any additional setup(both on local machine and linux machines on jenkins)?

@cherry_picker_01: No problem. I have not tried it myself, to hope another one can jump in and answer

No problem. I have not tried it myself, to hope another one can jump in and answer

Maybe the client could grant your company's network access to their website? Assuming you're running secure network. That would be the easiest way.

Do you have access to the VPN from your local machine? If yes, you can always run the tests locally.

cherry_picker_01

No, I do not have the access.

cherry_picker_01

@darill

cherry_picker_01

@skorp32 They're not open to it.

welp, then I see no way to test it

well, proxy is probably way to go, they should implement it on their side and give you url and credentials to use it, in turn you'll need to provide playwright url/credentials according to docs https://playwright.dev/docs/network#http-proxy

Related Discord Threads

TwitterGitHubLinkedIn
AboutQuestionsDiscord ForumBrowser ExtensionTagsQA Jobs

Rayrun is a community for QA engineers. I am constantly looking for new ways to add value to people learning Playwright and other browser automation frameworks. If you have feedback, email luc@ray.run.